Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tongue-Tied Testimony

Hello,

Recently I gave my life to Christ and I am learning a lot from my bible. I now take my bible to work and read it on my breaks. Two people have taken notice of it on my desk, and they ask questions about my faith. For some reason I get tongue-tied when it comes up. I know I'm supposed to be open about my faith, but it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. 
Thanks for taking my letter.

Dave S.

**********

Hello Dave,

Thanks for writing in, especially about a subject that hits home with many of us Christians. The scriptures say:

But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you...1Peter 3:15

That being said, you can only give what you know, however, the more you know, the more you can give!
When we start off as "baby" Christians, we have faith (without seeing), and believe (place our trust in), yet we don't have a full grasp on"why". This makes it difficult for new believers to obey the command in 1Peter 3:15.

Notice he says, "Be ready". No infant born is ready to walk or talk. God understands this, so for new believers it can be interpreted, "Get ready".

Your first duty is to keep reading the scriptures and ask God to teach you Himself. You'll be amazed at how much He teaches you and how quickly! It is His ultimate desire to get you ready. Over time you will see your testimony evolve and get even better than when you first began.

Now, where does that leave you with your co-workers who are asking you now? The only thing you can do then is to share what you know. You may or may not be able to recite scriptures yet, but you can share your testimony.

  1. How has Christ changed you?
  2. What convinced you to turn from the path you were on?
  3. Why do you read the Bible?

Any of this you can share with your co-workers. Prayerfully ask God to help you use the tools that you have now to share with others.

Just be yourself Dave, and simply "share what you know."

May God bless you Dave, and welcome brother in Christ!

Maidservant Huldah

1 comment:

  1. Hello again,
    I just want to thank you for your advice. I have been praying about it and I have been able to share like you instructed. I have had especially good conversation with one of my fellow workers. I am in prayer for his salvation. Thank you for making it more clear.
    Dave S.

    ReplyDelete