Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Couch Potato

Hello Huldah,

Last month my brother in law moved in with us "temporarily" until he "gets back on his feet". But that's whats so aggravating! He's never on his feet! He stays up all night watching tv, then when I ask him to mow the lawn or something he claims his narcalepsy is acting up then he's fast asleep on the couch! Its embarrassing when company shows up. I want him out, but my husband says we ought to "give him a chance". But he's gone in the day and doesn't see what I have to deal with. It's been a month Huldah! What should I do?

JR

**********

Dear JR,

Unfortunately, there seems to be at least one like him in almost every family. First, I would reflect on the agreement you and your husband made with him when he moved in. If he is not keeping his end of the bargain, I suggest another calm and private conversation with your husband. Let him know the challenges you face during the day and respectfully point out that his brother is not conforming to the original agreement. If he hasn't already, perhaps suggest to your husband that he talk to your brother-in-law. If that fails or has already been done, perhaps you could ask your husband for an agreed upon time limit to give to him before giving him the boot.

Proverbs 13:18 says

Poverty and shame will come to him who neglects discipline, but he who regards reproof will be honored.

Hope you get your couch back soon.

Maidservant Huldah

No comments:

Post a Comment