Saturday, August 10, 2013

Biblical Modesty

Dear Huldah,

I am in college but I live with my mom. We started going to the Baptist church close to us a couple of months ago. We haven't had much experience with with church so I guess we don't know all the rules. People have been really nice to us so far, but something happened this weekend. Two women from the church stopped by to talk to us. They talked to my mom about the clothes she wears to church. She does have her own style, I just never thought about her clothes being all that bad. These women were really nice about it but now Mom is mad and doesn't want to go back. I'm not bothered by it and I would like to go back. Is there anything I can do to help my mom?

Sarah

**********

Dear Sarah,

I am assuming the issue with clothing was one of modesty. If church is a fairly new concept to your mom, what happened could be quite upsetting and difficult for her to understand. However, on my end, I have to applaud the ladies for their courage to speak up.

Let me explain. The Bible says:

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. (1Ti 2:9-10)

He is not saying that women aren't allowed to dress nice, but decent is the focus and by no means should our dress be a distraction to others.

There are some women that make it a priority in life to distract men with their looks. Other women may do it it without even knowing they are doing it. Paul is just clarifying the importance of women in the church not causing a brother to stumble.

All Christians are called to be an example for others to follow into righteousness and godliness.

In particular, the Amish and the Mennonites have a strong conviction to keep themselves "pure' in the eyes of the world.

I will pray that your mom will not hold it against these ladies, the church, and least of all God.

Maidservant Huldah

No comments:

Post a Comment