Monday, September 2, 2013

Hope for the Depressed

Dear Huldah,
 

I have a friend that has slid into a depression. She is a widow and has recently been caring for a friend battling breast cancer. My friend is a believer in Jesus and God. I thought if you believed and were saved that the holy spirit would protect you from depression. Am I wrong? How should I try to help my friend?

Regards,

JS

**********

Dear J.S.,

All of us, Christian or not, are susceptible to depression. From the fall of man we have brought sin and sadness into the world. There are good men in the Bible that fell into depression, and for various reasons. Job, when his family was killed; David, when he sinned with Bathsheba and was punished by God with the loss of his child; Elijah, when he felt alone while being pursued by the evil queen Jezebel.

The good news is, no matter what the circumstances, for those who have the Holy Spirit indwelling in them, depression does not last forever, especially for those who call on His name.
The righteous cry, and the Lord hears
And delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
And saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:17-18

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

‘Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
Sharing scriptures like these with your friend could cause her to remember to turn to God in her time of need if she isn’t doing so already. Sometimes we tend to shut Him out when we really need Him the most. Honestly, it is He who can do for your friend far more than you or anyone else ever could.

My final thoughts are, to be there for her when you can. Perhaps drop her a note daily with a scripture, or offer to study a book in the Bible with her so she has someone to help guide her. Leading the depressed Christian back to the feet of Christ is ALWAYS the most effective in helping them to overcome.

Blessings to you and your friend.

Maidservant Huldah

No comments:

Post a Comment