Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Did Jesus Drink?

Dear Huldah,
Can you tell me what the bible says about drinking? I have a friend who goes to parties and drinks with her other friends she invites me to come to. I don’t really like the parties and I feel kind of funny when I go but my friend doesn’t like to hear no. The other day she asked me why. I told her I just didn’t feel it was right. She told me that Jesus drank in the bible and I guess I had not thought about that before. So why do I feel still this way?
Thank you Huldah! Oh and I love your website! I love Huldahs eyes.
Jen

**********

Dear Jen,

That is an excellent question, and the Bible has plenty to say about drinking.

It is true that Jesus drank wine. His very first miracle recorded in the Bible was turning water into wine at a wedding. When he was with his disciples before His death at the last supper, he took bread and wine. He told them and us to take it in remembrance of Him (communion).   

Wine was also used for medicinal purposes.
1Timothy 5:23  No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.
However, drinking back in biblical times for the most part was not the same as today. The hard drinks we have now were not a thought back then.

The Bible most definitely warns about drinking to excess or to drunkenness.
Ephesians 5:18  And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit.
These scriptures sum it all up the best: 
Proverbs 23:29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
Who has contentions? Who has complaining?
Who has wounds without cause?
Who has redness of eyes?  Those who linger long over wine,
Those who go to taste mixed wine.
Do not look on the wine when it is red,
When it sparkles in the cup,
When it goes down smoothly;
At the last it bites like a serpent
And stings like a viper.
Your eyes will see strange things
And your mind will utter perverse things.
And you will be like one who lies down in the middle of the sea,
Or like one who lies down on the top of a mast.
"They struck me, but I did not become ill;
They beat me, but I did not know it
When shall I awake?
I will seek another drink."
Obviously drinking a little wine in not sinful in itself, drunkenness is what is warned against.
There are scriptures that also speak to the conscience. Certain people and groups in the Bible were hand selected by God to not ever take wine. I believe the Lord speaks to some this same way today. If anyone feels as if he or she should not partake in alcohol, or, that for them it is forbidden, they should refrain from it. This may be the Lord speaking to the conscience, hand selecting one to remain pure from it.   

That may be the way it is in your case, or perhaps the Lord is prompting you to get your focus off of parties and drinking, and back onto Him.

Hope that helps you Jen, and thanks for writing in.


Maidservant Huldah

No comments:

Post a Comment